To participate in LS classes:
- You must have a strong internet connection with a download speed of at least 3.0 Mb/second and an upload speed at least 0.75 Mb/second. Check your internet speed here: Internet Speed Test
- While the Zoom application works well on most devices, its features are more limited for students using Chromebooks. While Chromebooks are still functional with Zoom, we generally recommend that families already in the market for a new computer look into other options first.
- In lieu of having a quiet room to work in along with good built-in speakers on your computer, you will also need a headset with a microphone. The important thing is that your headset works well with your computer. A common mistake is to have a headset that only has one jack, while your computer has separate ones for audio and mic; a one-prong headset may not enable your microphone to work. You might find it easier to use a headset that has two jacks over one that connects via USB port, as with the two jacks there isn't any need to install new programs. If you have a newer laptop you may need to get an adapter, as well, since a lot of them are too thin to have a USBA port. Some recommended headsets are:
- EPOS Sennheiser Headset (PC 5.2 CHAT) - This is a more expensive headset that costs about $50 but is very good. It has noise cancelling for students taking class in a busy room.
- Apple EarPods with built in mic - This is a good and inexpensive option, but students will have to hold the mic close to their mouth and there may be background noise when they talk. Costs about $15 - $20. Connects through audio and mic jacks.
- Logitech ClearChat Comfort/USB Headset (H390) - This is a reliable headset, costing about $30. It has noise cancelling and connects through a USB port.
- Jeecoo Xiberia USB Headset (V20-USB) - This headset is sturdy, noise cancelling, and quite comfortable to wear for long periods at a time. It costs about $30, and connects through a USB port.